2907 South Maple Avenue

Fresno, CA 93725-2218

Fresno IrrigationPh. 559.233.7161

Decrease Font Size
Increase Font Size

History of the District

1

The Fresno Irrigation District was formed in 1920 under the California Irrigation Districts Act, as the successor to the privately owned Fresno Canal and Land Company.  The District purchased all the rights and property of the company for the sum of $1,750,000.  The assets of the company consisted of over 800 miles of canals and distribution works which were constructed between 1850 and 1880 and the extensive water rights on Kings River.

2

View a silde show of various Fresno County historical photos.